Oral Cancer Exam | Boulder, CO
By performing a thorough visual exam we can often find mucosal abnormalities, including pre-malignant and malignant lesions that might be missed otherwise. I am compelled to offer this exam to all my adult patients as more than 25% of oral cancer victims have no lifestyle risk factors (tobacco/alcohol use). Epstein JB DMD, MSD, FRCD(C); Silverman S Jr DDS; Epstein JD MA; Lonky SA MD, FACP, MBA; Bride MA DDS Analysis of Oral Lesion Biopsies Identified and Evaluated by Visual Examination, Chemiluminescence and Toluidine Blue
For more information about Oral Cancer or to schedule an appointment with Dr. Birnbach:
Statistics, Facts and Famous Victims
The Deadly Statistics
- Every hour of every day, one American dies of oral cancer.
- The mortality rate associated with oral cancer has not improved significantly in the last 40 years. In fact, recent statistics published by the American Cancer Society indicate that while the incidence and death rates for cancers overall has decreased, the incidence for oral cancer has increased by 5.5% and the death rate has increased by 1.5%.
- The death rate in the Unites States for oral cancer is higher than that of cervical cancer, Hodgkin’s disease, cancer of the brain, liver, testes, kidney or ovarian cancer.
- More than 30,000 Americans will receive an oral cancer diagnosis this year. In five years, less than 57% will still be alive.
- 8,000 Americans will die each year of oral cancer.
Oral cancer is far too often detected in late stage development — the primary reason for the high death rate. Oral cancer can have potentially disfiguring effects on patients, seriously compromising their quality of life. Early detection of abnormalities can make a large difference in life expectancy; oral cancer is 90% curable when found early. Unfortunately, 70% of oral cancers are diagnosed in the late stages, and 43% of those diagnosed will die within five years.
Oral cancer has touched the lives of many people; however some of the better known oral cancer victims may surprise you.